Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        Andrew Bevin <zabeva@nzsakl.bhp.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd questions

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Andrew Bevin wrote:

> Due to the way I am
> billed I charge by IP traffic rather than time, therefore it is easier
> for me to allocate fixed IP addresses to my users.

Don't do this. You will run out of addresses and then the registry (APNIC)
will not give you any more so you'll be screwed, Better figure out how to
bill this way using dynamic IP's. This shouldn't be that hard.

> At the moment I have to tell by users to enter their IP address in there
> TCP setup rather than have my server allocate them an IP address.

Well, we've solved that one.

> I can't user ~/.ppprc as
> it seems that pppd is not reading the ~/.ppprc file as the user is not
> actually logging into the server.

You need to change this so the user IS logging into the server so you can
associate IP and username for billing.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com