Date:      Wed,  5 Apr 2000 02:40:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dhesi@rahul.net (Rahul Dhesi)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Opensource is not free

I have wanted to contribute documentation, but found no good way to do
it.

To write documentation, I need authoritative information.  That is hard
to get.  If ther were design documents and programmer's notes, I could
take them and convert them into user manuals quite easily.  But there
are no such documents that I have found so far.  To write good
documentation I would have to essentially read all the FreeBSD code and
reverse-engineer it, following what is being done line by line and
variable by variable.  That would take a LOT of time.

The other alternative I have would be to simply experiment, find out
what works, and write it down.  That too takes a lot of time, and the
information you end up getting is incomplete.

I could also follow the FreeBSD-related mailing lists but the
information there is very fragment and it's hard to distinguish the
authoritative information from the rumors and guesses.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@email.rahul.net> (spam-filtered with RSS and ORBS)
   See my ORBS faq: