Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:11:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Configuring PnP soundcard DRQs

I am having problems getting a Creative (not clone) PnP SB16 to work
with with either the Voxware snd or Luigi Rizzo's pcm drivers (with
the pnp driver defined in both cases).  The machine _does_ have a
PnP BIOS (from Award).

Using the pcm driver, the card is correctly detected and initialised
using the same IO/IRQ/DRQ values as Win'95 reports.  Only problem is
that no audio comes out :-(.  Using xanim, I do get a noise which can
be varied with the volume control.  I also get lots of "WARNING:
rdintr but read DMA inactive!" messages.

Using the snd driver, I can get mxv to plau .au files, but xanim
is still not behaving. And the sbxvi will not configure.

I believe that the problem is caused by the DRQs selected by the SB16:
1 and 3.  The IO addresses and IRQs appear sensible.

On pre-PnP ISA machines, DRQs 0 to 3 are 8-bit and DRQs 4-7 are
16-bit.  The (pre-PnP) SB16 needs both an 8-bit and 16-bit DRQ.  I
would assume that these statements are also true for PnP machines and
cards.  Both the snd and pcm drivers are full of code which assumes
that one DRQ is <4 and the other is >= 4.

I've tried using the Win'95 control panel to manually select what I
believe to be sensible DRQs (eg 1 and 5), but it only allows a range
of 0..3.  The soundcard does appear to work under Win'95 (I haven't
checked all the features).

I've tried looking through the FAQs, handbook, `The Complete FreeBSD',
and the mailing list archives to no avail.  Can anyone offer any
suggestions.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au