Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:13:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Opensource is not free

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Rahul Dhesi wrote:

> I have wanted to contribute documentation, but found no good way to do
> it.
>
> To write documentation, I need authoritative information.  That is hard
> to get.  If ther were design documents and programmer's notes, I could
> take them and convert them into user manuals quite easily.  But there
> are no such documents that I have found so far.  To write good
> documentation I would have to essentially read all the FreeBSD code and
> reverse-engineer it, following what is being done line by line and
> variable by variable.  That would take a LOT of time.
>
> The other alternative I have would be to simply experiment, find out
> what works, and write it down.  That too takes a lot of time, and the
> information you end up getting is incomplete.

You seem to be forgetting the most obvious way to get information...just
ask.  Most of FreeBSD's code has the authors/maintainers names embedded in
it somewhere.  In addition to the authors/maintainers, there are many
knowledgable people subscribed to FreeBSD's veritable plethora of
technical mailing lists that have the knowledge that you require and would
love to share.

Just remember, interpersonal communication is still allowed, even in this
digital age.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org