Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:03:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring PnP soundcard DRQs

> I am having problems getting a Creative (not clone) PnP SB16 to work
> with with either the Voxware snd or Luigi Rizzo's pcm drivers (with
> Using the pcm driver, the card is correctly detected and initialised
> using the same IO/IRQ/DRQ values as Win'95 reports.  Only problem is
> that no audio comes out :-(.  Using xanim, I do get a noise which can
> be varied with the volume control.  I also get lots of "WARNING:
> rdintr but read DMA inactive!" messages.

from the rest of the message I assume you have a new "Vibra16X" card,
that's why it wants two 8-bit DRQ. There is no documentation available
on this card and it is, according to my experience, sufficiently
different from the old one to make it hard to support.

I suggest to upgrade the /sys/i386/isa/snd directory to what you find
at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd980607.tgz , there i have some
fixes for the Vibra16X.

> I've tried using the Win'95 control panel to manually select what I
> believe to be sensible DRQs (eg 1 and 5), but it only allows a range
> of 0..3.  The soundcard does appear to work under Win'95 (I haven't
> checked all the features).

BTW: i have no idea if this card can do full duplex at all. Since you
have Win95, could you try if it can work in full duplex under windows ?

	cheers
	luigi