Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 1996 12:03:25 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        pst@shockwave.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sup%d is broken - I agree

Paul Traina wrote:

> If something's wrong with sup2, www2, et al, I want to know about it asap.

*Great!*

One thing I should have mentioned in my original tirade, but forgot:  I
sup the CVS tree (src and ports), not the -current tree or anything
else.  I'm just mentioning it now because it could be germane to the
problem of my files getting deleted, if, for example, that tree doesn't
exist on sup2.

Although there are clearly some problems on the auxiliary sup servers, I
really view a lot of this as bugs in the sup software itself.  It should
be _much_ more reluctant to delete existing files on the client machine.
It should be _absolutely_ sure it knows what it's doing before that
happens.

Anyway, Paul, if you'd like me to help you try some experiments, I'd be
willing to back up my sup tree and go for it.

-- John

PS - Since you were asking about link speeds, mine's a 56K frame relay.