Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:08:31 -0500
From:      Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems With New Audio CD

--------------enig8C38ABE410BFF22EAE91754D

On 04/07/10 16:33, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
>> So it's safe to assume this CD is copy protected.
>=20
> I have a couple of "copy-protected" CDs here that I bought by accident =
(I
> wouldn't have bought them if I knew they were "protected").
>=20
> They have two things in common:
>=20
> 1) They won't play in my HiFi DVD player
> 2) I had zero trouble ripping them (using iTunes on Windows XP)
>=20
> I don't remember if I ever tried to rip them using FreeBSD or Linux.
>=20
> So copy protection does not, in fact, prevent copying, but it does
> prevent some legitimate use cases, even the kind of use cases that the
> labels *do* want to allow.
>=20
> DES

I don't use iTunes (and refuse to do so for various reasons, mostly
having to do with my opinion of Jobs and Apple in general). I'm going to
try Winamp on XP tonight.

--=20
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscrib=
ed.