Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:05:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: UserConfig is broken + PS/2 support success

As Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

I've ignored the beginning of this discussion.

> bit 6	0 No conversion of keyboard scan codes.
> 	1 Standard Scan conversion - the scan code from the keyboard is
> 	  converted into the normal scan codes used in PCs (1 is normal
> 	  operation). MCA Type 2 controllers cannot set this bit to 1.
> 	  In this case scan code conversion is set using keyboard
> 	  command F0h to port 60h.

Right.  The latter is why syscons didn't work out of the box on
ThinkPads.

> addition, the AT keyboard can send three different sets of scan codes:
>
> 	set 1	XT scan code set
> 	set 2	AT scan code set (default)
> 	set 3	for manufacturing test?

No, the AT keyboard (84-key one, almost forgotten now) has only 1 and
2.  Set 3 is only applicable to PS/2-style keyboards.  Alas, not all
keyboards around are PS/2-style, even not in these days.  So while set
3 is the most orthogonal one (the only one that doesn't generate
compatibility cruft like all the crap you get in set 2 when pressing
Alt SysRq or Ctrl PrtScr), we cannot rely on it.

> So, I think we can have the following hardware combinations to get
> XT scan codes:
>
> 1. XT keyboard with an ISA/EISA style keyboard controller

No, i don't think we really support XT keyboards, and probably nobody
really wants this either.  Our world starts with an AT design (e.g.
we also rely on having an RTC available), and we can ignore the XT
part.

Older keyboards (like mine -- 1990 manufactured) still have an XT/AT
switch somewhere, but they won't work in XT mode with messy DOS on the
AT-style machine either.  So simply don't worry about this case.

--
cheers, J"org