Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 20:23:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bsd@mail.gld.com
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic PPP-detecting getty and pppd!!!

> > Okay all of you who have been wanting a way to get around loading "Microsoft
> > Dial Up Scripting" on your Windows 95 boxes...  now FreeBSD can detect a PPP
> > session inside getty, and deal with it appropriately!  "Cooooool!"

> Where were you a week ago when I struggled with mgetty!? Anyways, are
> you able to log users using pap and logging in normally? If so, then
> I'm gonna to try your stuff! BTW thanx for writing it!

Hi,

It wasn't hard, I've been in getty often enough in the past.  Special thanks
to Mike Hancock for a kick in the rear that allowed me to see how easy it
was to do  ;-)

Local policy here is to authenticate with PAP out of the system password
database.  This has the jolly nice side effect of giving users one (and only
one) password to remember and (more importantly) to forget.

However, my stuff does not deal with the authentication.  If you can do it
with the pppd in 2.1R, you can do it with mine.  The only changes I made to
the PAP/passwd stuff was to check the account expiration field for expired
accounts, and to put the user in the utmp file.

Enjoy,

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968