Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:55:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Reid <root@edmweb.com>
To:        Andrew Bevin <zabeva@nzsakl.bhp.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd questions

> At the moment I have to tell by users to enter their IP address in there
> TCP setup rather than have my server allocate them an IP address. I cant
> find a way to allocate the users their IP address on connect. pppd can
> set the IP addresses that users _can_ have via pap_secrets but pppd
> doesnt force the user to have that IP address. I can't user ~/.ppprc as
> it seems that pppd is not reading the ~/.ppprc file as the user is not
> actually logging into the server. Does any one know how I can allocate
> the IP address on a user basis?

Try putting the -ip option in your pppd.options file. That should disable
IP address negotiation, forcing the client to use what the server says.
I'm using this option for dynamic IP allocation, since it forces the
client to use the IP address specified in the options.tty* file.

> Despite runnning Stable I am still getting the left over arp entries
> appearing after a user falls off the system. At the moment I have a
> script that deletes these entries every 5 minutes. Is there a solution
> imminent?

The fix in -stable doesn't prevent the ARP entries from sitting around,
but it prevents them from being a problem. Your script is probably
unnecessary.

| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |