Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 10:16:46 +0900
From:      itojun@itojun.org
To:        Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_ep.c on latest PAO

>The if_ep.c I wind up with when applying the latest PAO patches to 2.2.2-
>RELEASE is rather broken with respect to promiscuous mode; specifically,
>it passes every packet going by on the wire to the inbound IP path, rather
>than noticing that the destination Ethernet address on most packets going
>by doesn't merit attention by the local host.

	I believe this is because 3com ethernet cards have no multicast
	filtering hardware.

>A glance at 3.0-current if_ep.c reveals that it at least does something
>different with respect to promiscuous operation and filtering packets received
>when in promiscuous mode.

	I generated diff from 2.2.2-RELEASE and 3.0-current, there was no
	difference. (am I looking into something different?)

	(long line splitted into two)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/if_ep.c.diff
?r1=1.53.2.1%3ARELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE&tr1=1.1&r2=1.60%3AHEAD&tr2=1.60&f=c

itojun