Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 1997 09:58:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor shadows?

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:
> As Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > You can move microwave down a twisted pair, as long as it's carefully laid
> > out; the same goes anywhere else really.
>
> Sure, but for a Sub-D connector with its totally ``weird'' geometric
> layout, how would you ensure a uniform impedance?  I think you can
> only ensure the latter for a uniform geometric layout, where the ratio
> between conductor diameter and dielectricum thickness is constant.

In the same way you do for any other low-loss connector I guess, make
the geometry change gradual, not sudden, and choose your dielectric to
suitg.

  FWIW, some of the RF gear we've integrated with has run 100MHz+
signals through D connectors; we were appalled to begin with too, but
the RF people looked at us (the digital/software people) like we were
nuts, so I have to assume it can be done 8)

> Good that there's no topic off-topic enough in a -chat list. :-)

*grins*