Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:15:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: internationalization

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Gary Kline wrote:

Could someone translate this into a language called English? Some people
on this list are non native speakers of English, like myself, and have
a 'syntax error' or 'decoding error' on the fragment below.

My compliments for your grasp of the English language and my compliments
as well to the makers of the dictionary at

	http://www.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict-search
	http://dict.leo.org/dict/dictionaries.html

If people could restrict themselves to general English language, not
slang nor uncommon words and no n dimensional (with n big) sentences,
that would be appreciated.

Nick

P.S.:
	English		German			Dutch

	bigotry		die Engstirnigkeit	kortzichtigheid
	ilk		die Sorte		vorm
	premise		die Voraussetzung	de veronderstelling
	grasp		die Auffassungsgabe	het begrip

    > According to Terry Lambert:
   > > > 		Let me pose the same question, a bit more broadly.

    > > > 		Why cannot we support _both_ the ISO and Unicode
    > > > 		paradigms?  Are these absolutely incompatible systems?
    > > > 		Is there some kind of ``religious-war''?   Or is it
    > > > 		simply too difficult?
    > >
    > > ISO 10646 code page 0 *is* Unicode, by definition.
    > >
    > > The religious aspects have to do with the old trade-offs the various
    > > programmers are already used to, the new trade-offs the various
    > > programmers would have to start putting up with, and the various
    > > language bigotries people bring to the table.
    >

    > 	I'm approaching this with relatively little bigotry or
    > 	other baggage; my bias is against bias itself.  That said,
    > 	I've been around enough decades to realize that virtually
    > 	everyone carries latent bigotries of some ilk.  I'd just
    > 	rather stay above as much of it as possible here.
    >
    > 	So far this discussion looks promiising; and thanks here
    > 	noted to everyone.
    >

    > > Major premise: everyone is going to have to put up with a non-8-bit
    > > wchar_t internally in their applications.  This is called the "raw"
    > > or "process" representation.
    >

    > 	This, I not only believe, but agree with.  Memory is cheap;
    > 	disk is cheap; so having character set be a wchar_t (either
    > 	16 or 32 bits) is no major obstacle.

    > > Are most of your files in ASCII?
    > >
    > > Then you want UTF7/UTF8/ISO2022 encoding, so you don't have to change
    > > them.  Unless you plan to export your software.  Let the non-English
    > > speaking world deal with the incompatabilities and storage bloat
    > > problems.  You'll deal with it in your software when Japan and Europe
    > > "get their act together" and standardize on IBM-PC derived hardware
    > > so that your software won't have to be ported to run.
    > >
    > > Besides, C code is in the "C" locale, and that's US-ASCII already.
    > > GCC supports tri-glyphs, right?

    > > Are most of your files in ISO8859-X and/or KOI-8X?
    > >
    > > Then you don't want UTF7/UTF8, because if you get them, some
    > > characters that currently take up one byte will take up between one
    > > and three bytes (one if they are US ASCII, more if they are in the
    > > 0x80-0xff range).
    > >
    > > You also don't want ISO2022, because instead of simply choosing a
    > > locale for all your data, you will have to deal with character set
    > > shift processing.
    > >
    > > You could put up with UTF2, because you could do kernel magic to
    > > expand existing text files on existing filesystems by setting a
    > > per FS attribute that tells how to get the data in and out of
    > > Unicode representation.  You still need a "magic doohickey" that
    > > tells the filesystem to do this for text files, but not for other
    > > files.

    > > Are most of your files in ISO2022-jp (JIS-208/JIS-212)?
    > >
    > > Then you don't want UTF7/UTF8/UTF2 encoding, because you don't
    > > want to have to convert your data.  You don't want Unicode because
    > > it means you'll have to deal with the sorting problem all over
> [...]

STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A
tel.: +39 332 78 9549
fax.: +39 332 78 9185