Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 19:59:15 -0700
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/misc/magicpoint Makefile

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 11:24:51AM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:

> >Elf fixes), any reference to NOMANCOMPRESS from port/Makefile is
> >almost certainly an error.
> >It would be pretty easy to make portlint check for that.  :-)
>
> 	i'm workring on it, but right now it looks that NetBSD/FreeBSD
> 	OpenBSD uses very different rule for manpage, and portlint is
> 	becoming unraedable.

Yes/No.

On OpenBSD, USE_IMAKE implies MANCOMPRESSED=no because, as far as
anyone has determined, imake installs uncompressed manpages on
OpenBSD.  Other than that, the only difference is that OpenBSD
always has NOMANCOMPRESS defined.  Provided they've merged our
latest bsd.port.mk (+MLINKS), none of them (FreeBSD, NetBSD, or
OpenBSD) should refer to NOMANCOMPRESS.

[Obvious caveat here, is that there is no date set for a merge...]

I think NetBSD uses MANZ instead of NOMANCOMPRESS, so the rule
could be "No port/Makefile should refer to either MANZ or
NOMANCOMPRESS".

Right now, I think both Open and Net are at r.1.264 from our
bsd.port.mk.  There are some changes from both that we should
consider merging.

The catch here, of course, is that someone's got to merge first,
or our bsd.port.mk files are going to become forever split.

[Insert assorted curses here about NetBSD not having their cvs
repo open...  They're definately at risk of making more work for
themselves because of this...]

Incidentally, imho NetBSD took some small wrong turns in their
copy and will need to back-up a little.  OpenBSD is pretty good,
but I have some questions about their "plist" and "COMES_WITH"
features.

--
Me.  Who'd you think sent this?