Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 08:56:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com (Bert Driehuis)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preparations for BSD/OS port

Bert Driehuis wrote:

> I'm working on porting ISDN4BSD to BSD/OS 3.0. The telephony part works,

Great!

> FreeBSD and BSD/OS it's a u_long. How 'bout doing this in i4b_ioctl.h:
>
> #if defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__bsdi__)
> #define I4B_IOCTL_CMD_T u_long
> #else
> #define I4B_IOCTL_CMD_T int
> #endif

Looks ok.

> Another, along the lines of the FLAGS definition in layer1/i4b_isic.c, is to
> use a #define PARMS to pass the right info down to the probe and attach

Hmm, i dont like this. IMHO the differences in data types (as above) should
be hidden, but function arguments not - its confusing.

> The biggest gain might come from removing "all" platform dependancies from the
> card drivers, and moving the OS dependent probe/attach stuff into i4b_isic.c
> (or at least into isolated sections in the card specific file). For example,
> the tel_s0163_probe in i4b_tel_s0163.c is defined now in two and soon three
> radically different ifdeffed routines, with the guts of the probe duplicated
> two or three times. This would require some serious thinking. Anyway, I'm not
> going to even *think* about tackling that issue :-)

Perhaps this can go in three files, i4b_probeattach_fbsd.c,
i4b_probeattach_nbsd.c and i4b_probeattach_bsdos.c ?

> What do you think? #ifdef or #define? And if we want to use definitions like
> I4B_IOCTL_CMD_T throughout ISDN4BSD, which include file do we stick it in?

i4b_global.h

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
  A duck is like a bicycle because they both have two wheels except the duck