Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 00:00:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Andy Newman <atrn@zeta.org.au>, Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keyboards

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, David Kelly wrote:

> Chuck Robey writes:
> > I want to know which Canon model *ISN'T* one of those Windows things with
> > the brains in the driver only ... I'm looking for a Canon model that's
> > well supported by one of the ghostscript drivers.  Do all FreeBSD'ers in
> > general a favor and put this information in the mail archives!
>
> We'll know Unix has come of its majority in the desktop market when/if
> Canon/HP/etc provide drivers or otherwise document their WinProducts
> (WinModems, WinPrinters, ...)
>
> As a result, I don't buy these products. Even for a WinNT application.
>
> Almost completely off topic: Noticed HP-2500CM is an ethernet/PostScript/
> color/inkjet printer. Only $1500 or so.

Off topic, and it's also a *really* bad investment, unless the printer
itself happens to be great (like if it was 2000 dpi, something like that).
I used to have a printer myself that had an internal postscript
interpreter, so that (1) it took 3 times longer to download files (they
down load faster as PCL or some printer's native language) and they had to
ability to use new updated postscript interpreters as they become
available.  I can update ghostscript *very* easily, it downloads stuff to
my printer qery quickly, it gives me a 1/4 of the problems that the
printer-based interpreter gave me (postscript error pages instead of
printed output).

A postscript printer is a bad deal.

> I really want a digital camera, but don't really have a good
> justification, or even time to play with it. But am awfully tempted to
> by a Kodak simply because Kodak posts the nitty gritty details on their
> web site in PDF format.
>

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net
> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)