Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:57:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andy Georges <ageorges@twizors.rug.ac.be>
To:        flupke <flupke@mail.com>
Cc:        freeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: building kernel in 4.0

Yow,

> I'm not too unfamiliar with the unix environement, as I've been using
> linux for about 3 or 4 years, now, but I'm a brand new user of freeBSD.
> I installed the 4.0 verion yesterday. So please don't flame me if my
> questions have a too "newbie" level, or if I'm adressing my request to
> the wrong list.

i suppose you might ask this sort of questions on
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, but i'm not completely sure since i only
started reading this list a few weeks ago, so perhaps i also post
questions in here that don't really belong here.

> 1) I discovered that the handbook has been written for the 3.4 freeBSD
> version, and that the execution of /usr/sbin/config reported some
> obsolete (or even unknown) keywords and drivers in my config file. Could
> someone tell me where I can find a manual to configure the kernel I'm
> running?

you should look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT

all the kernel options and devices etc. are listed there. If you don't
know what it might do, don't touch it the first time :-)

you might just make a copy of GENERIC to say MYKERNEL (as they so
originally put it :-) and adjust a number of options etc. in there. Don't
start editing LINT.

> 2) I use lilo to boot my machine. I read that I could choose the kernel
> to boot with the freeBSD boot loader, but can I do this with lilo?
> Because of course, I'm afraid to build a bad configured kernel.

hmm i have no idea . there should be a document somewhere explaining how
to use Linux & fbsd next to each other, perhaps it's in there...

> 3) All the devices are not listed in the handbook, so I wonder : do I
> just have to add the lines 'device bktr0' and 'device vr0' in order to
> have my bttv and D-Link cards recognized by the kernel?

if they're in the LINT file, just go ahead and see what it does.

hope this helps,
Andy

Dept. of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Ghent
Krijgslaan 281 - S9, B - 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Phone: +32-9-264.47.66, Fax: +32-9-264.49.95
E-mail: andy.georges@rug.ac.be