Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:05:01 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xe0 and ifconfig

Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Strangely enough, someone else did report a similar problem a few weeks
> ago.  As I recall, they had two (supposedly) identical cards, one of which
> started behaving differently after it had been using Win2K or FreeBSD (I
> forget which).

I am who reported that similar problem. The other "OS" ;-) is WinMe.
The odd thing here is that we have two Xircom RE-100 (CE3-10/100)
cards with different behavior: the old card (~18 months old) works fine
under both Windows (Xircom driver version 2.05) and FreeBSD; however, the
new card suffers from negotiation problems under FreeBSD (even when rebooted
after Windows). We did a small test, installing another (older) version
of the Xircom's Windows driver, and surprisingly the card showed a
different behavior under FreeBSD (in fact, the negotiation problems
went worse). Then, we reinstalled the latest Xircom's Windows driver
(v2.05), rebooted FreeBSD, and we saw the original negotiation
problems. Conclusion: the Xircom's Windows driver does "something"
with the card which survives the initialization perfomed by xe(4).

I told the owner of the problem card that he should define XE_DEBUG,
but now he is on vacation.

> AFAIK, the Intel & Compaq xe cards are just a Xircom in a different wrapper
> so the same behaviour should exist with all of them.  However, I didn't
> think there was any configurable state in there that would survive power
> cycling... except maybe the MAC address, I guess.  How long did you eject
> it for?

I read the Xircom technical docs, and according to that information almost
nothing should survive a hardware reset. And the xe driver _does_ a
hardware reset. Weird.

> I'm starting to be convinced - from other conversations I've had lately -
> that there's some fundamental flaw in the way the xe driver initialises the
> card.  This could be the real reason that autonegotiation doesn't always
> work, it could explain these really weird behaviours too -- perhaps the
> flawed init procedure is screwing up the card in some way such that it's
> really hard to unscrew it :-)
>
> I've been talking to a few other people who are looking at various prblems
> with the xe driver, including this intialisation thing; hopefully there
> will be some answers soon.

If you want some testers, don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **