Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:11:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        frankch@waru.life.nthu.edu.tw (Chen Hsiung Chan)
Cc:        itojun@iijlab.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> > >The point is not a reduction in an alphabetic symbol space, as in
> > >your A-F example.
> > >A switch from Kanji to Kana would not damage the ability to represent
> > >any Japanese words; it's a switch from an ideogrammatic to an
> > >alphabetic representation.
> >
> > 	bzzzz, you are wrong.  We Japnaese can't live without Kanji.
> > 	Kanji is not an extra character sets.  Kanji is mandatory
> > 	character set for us, just like G-Z for you.  Believe me,
> > 	I speak and write Japanese every day :-)
>
>     That's also true for Chinese. We can not live with only
>     phonetic symbols, whether that be bopomofo or pinyin or
>     anything else.

This is still not valid for the A-F example.  What you are complaining
about is not the lack of symbols, but the lack of diacritical markings;
the use of "radicals" in Kanji servers the equivalent purpose.

An English analogy is the meter in poetry, which can not be represented
without invented diacritical marks:

	-   |   -     |  -   |  -    |
	The boy stood on the burning deck

	-   |    -    |    -  |  |
	His feet were full of blisters

Alternately, you can use dipthongs (such as the "ae" in "Gilbrae") to
make written kana/bopomofo/pinyan pseudo phonetic, like English.  I
would discourage this, for reasons previously stated, and use the
less intrusive punctuational methods.  For example, in written Romaji,
vowel extension is generally done via hyphenated repetition:

	oba-san oba-a-san

Romanized Chinese requires syllabic hypenation and intonational markings:

	/  -   _
	Ni-hou-ma

ie: it's possible to do.  Definition of diacritics is (obviously, from
my examples of Western markup schemas 8-)) better left to native
speakers to decide.
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---