Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:30:43 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject:   Kudos to all!

Folks,

	I'd like to extend my thanks and give kudos to all who have been
involved in the process of creating FreeBSD 4.0, from -CURRENT up
through -STABLE, and beyond to wherever that might take us.

	We had a new Dell PowerEdge 6350/500 server that arrived here
yesterday, and although the machine was bought to run Windows NT as a
games server, the admin of the machine wanted to install and run
Linux on it first, just to play around.

	Well, Slackware, Debian, and RedHat all seriously bombed out in
one way or another.  He even tried OpenBSD, but again no luck.  They
were convinced that there was a very serious hardware problem, and
that they'd have to ship the machine back.

	On a lark, I slipped in a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE kernel floppy, and
began what is clearly the easiest and simplest boot & installation
procedure that they appear to have ever seen.  It worked the first
time without a single hiccup, it installed in *way* less time than
anything else they've ever done before, and I think I pretty
seriously embarrassed them.  ;-)

	I don't know if this will win us any converts from the die-hard
Linux camp, but I think it certainly demonstrates the quality of the
product that this project has produced.

	Oh, and the machine did get very quickly wiped -- it's running NT
now.  However, I don't think they'll ever bother to try to run Linux
on it again.  ;-)