Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:28:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Ramirez <mrami@gbtb.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Miscellany of chat-type questions...

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > (2) Would anyone want to use COBOL on FreeBSD?  Why? :)
>
> I actually considered writing a COBOL compiler, and went so
> far as to create a grammar.
>
> I think that it might be an OK thing for TenDRA (so it doesn't
> get GPL'ed), but for use with GNU tools, I'm afraid that it
> would have to be a COBOL-TO-C translator, if I ever decided
> that it was worthwhile finishing the thing for use on FreeBSD.

Yeah; it seems to me that any system worth its salt nowadays has to
have at least a "compile to Java" type function... no sense going GNU that
I can see...

> Oh, yeah, it's not ANSI COBOL-85 (I hate what Harris did to the
> language that I thought could not get more bloated...).

:) Then they went and put OO on it.

Marc.

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Marc Ramirez - Owner		Great Big Throbbing Brains
mrami@gbtb.com			http://www.gbtb.com
Our brains throb, so yours won't have to!