Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 18:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: CD-R(W)s

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 27-Aug-98, The Classiest Man
Alive wrote:
> It's time to replace my old CD-ROM and I'm considering moving to a CD-R
> or
> a CD-RW.  I'm wondering how well these devices work with FreeBSD 2.2.x.

They work very well indeed.

> Is it possible to burn CDs using FreeBSD (e.g., is there softare
> available
> for this purpose)?

Yes.  Look at /usr/ports/sysutils/cdrecord, and
/usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs, and /usr/ports/sysutils/mkhybrid*.

> Does they function normally as CD-ROM replacements or are there any
> special considerations?

Yes.  They function as normal CD-ROM drives when not being used as CD
writers.  You can mount and unmount them, install FreeBSD from them, etc.

> Does anybody have any good/bad experiences with a particular
> manufacturer
> or model?

I purchased a Sony CD-R CDU926S at a computer show earlier this year for
just under $300 (that's including tax and everything).  (By now, the price
will probably have come down significantly on these)  This is a 6x read/2x
write SCSI device, and it works like a charm.  I've burned well over a
hundred CD's with it, and the only failures I've had are when I screwed up
something myself.  I am quite happy with this unit, and would gladly buy
the same one if I needed to buy a new CD-R right now.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ#16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.