Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:10:23 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        flupke <flupke@mail.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: building kernel in 4.0

At 4:36 PM +0200 2000/4/5, flupke wrote:

>  1) I discovered that the handbook has been written for the 3.4 freeBSD
>  version, and that the execution of /usr/sbin/config reported some
>  obsolete (or even unknown) keywords and drivers in my config file. Could
>  someone tell me where I can find a manual to configure the kernel I'm
>  running?

	The suggestion I have is that you go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
and take the GENERIC kernel, and remove the stuff you know you don't
need from it (for example, you probably have only one type of
Ethernet interface, so you might not want to have all the others).

	Follow the general instructions in the handbook, but where it
shows a configuration one way and the GENERIC kernel shows it the
other, use the method shown in the GENERIC kernel.

	Then your only remaining question might be how to add the kernel
option for your new card, and hopefully you'll have enough examples
in the GENERIC kernel that you can figure this out.

	Now, once you've done this, I'd ask you to do one more thing --
submit the steps you went through and the places where the handbook
no longer reflects the reality of 4.0-STABLE to the folks in the
documentation project, so that they can update the handbook.

>  3) All the devices are not listed in the handbook, so I wonder : do I
>  just have to add the lines 'device bktr0' and 'device vr0' in order to
>  have my bttv and D-Link cards recognized by the kernel?

	I hope you'll be able to answer this question for yourself by
looking at the other examples in the GENERIC kernel.