Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 00:31:43 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: are motherboards a factor w/FreeBSD?

At 18:16 20.05.00 -0400, you wrote:
>Are motherboards ever an issue? do you think i would be ok w/my Abit VA6,
>for FreeBSD?
>http://www.abit.nl/english/product/va6.htm

Hi!

Well, the mobo is one of the most important stability factors, especially
regarding the features modern chipsets have.

Yes, Abit is a quality brand doing mobos which are mechanically stable.

The chipsets are some other issue. Some chipsets have some problems of
doing correct plug and pray, they issue IRQs wrong, anbd that stuff. of
course, this also depends on mobo design and BIOS programming done there.

My personal favourite list is in order:
ASUS
Gigabyte
Tyan
after that, manufacturers like
Abit, some FIC boards, MSI

Those I have good experiences, and they have good reputation.
ALso, what ever you are doing, stay away from PCCHips. They are pure crap.
(Also appearing under the name of Eurone, Amptron, Alton, Hsing Tech)

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)