Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 18:57:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

I paid some attention to this thread when it started, but i was away for a
couple of days and when I saw this ... flow of messages i just couldn't resist:

I upgraded from 3.4-RELEASE to 3.4-STABLE at 26. March 2000 i think, that was
the first updating I ever had done with cvsup and make world. That's when I
subscribed to -stable. Since it went so smoothly, I didn't have a single
problem, I decided to try 4.0-STABLE, and tried it at 29. March. I'm not sure
if this thread had started then already, but anyway:

I read the fine manuals, handbook at my machine and at www.frebsd.org, and
those release notes for 4.0. After that I cvsup'd 4.0 sources and did a very
simple thing, that I usually do when I enter a directory:

#cd /usr/src
#ls

that showed me a list of files, and there was BIG LETTERS: UPDATING
I thought, well, I'm now running 3.4, and I'm about to install 4.0, so I'd
guess that's called UPDATING. Some common sense, I think? I read the UPDATING
and followed those very simple instructions there (well I have to admit I
couldn't build a custom kernel before I had updated the system with GENERIC,
but that really isn't a big problem)
And here I am:
>uname -a
FreeBSD sjukebox 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #2: Thu Mar 30 20:38:49 EEST
2000     sjuke@sjukebox:/usr/src/sys/compile/CELERON  i386

So, I updated from 3.4-release to 4.0-stable within a few days, and those was
the first updates I've ever done. I didn't have a single problem, and I really
didn't need to use mailing list resources for the updating. So I'd say the
information provided in thos files and online was enough, and I'd like to say
big thanks to those who had done them so fine.

So here is one happy FBSD user who thinks someone has done good work.

And please, don't take this message as a reason to start another flow of
messages, I'm behind a 56K modem ;)

Jukka Simila