Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:21:45 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FrontPage extensions on Apache

From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
> Are you willing to maintain and test a 'mod_fp' port?  I've got Apache,
> mod_ssl and  mod_php[34] mostly sorted out and was going to attack mod_fp
> once I managed to atain sufficient courage.  If you are in a position
> where you can test a 'mod_fp' port it would help me out quite a bit.

Now that I have the Apache13-FP port updated to the latest version and
building a package, I'll be working on the mod_frontpage port Sat/Sun.
Could yousend me your latest Apache ports so that I can be sure that it
operates properly with the mod_frontpage port.

Q.  How are you handling the custom settings for each ports httpd.conf?  Are
you putting them into <IfDefine port>...</IfDefine>?

Or does APXS put the appropriate LoadModule/AddModule entries in the
httpd.conf when the port gets installed?

I have a patch for apachectl that allows you to define which ports modules
you want to use.

i.e.  apachectl start_FP_SSL_PHP3

apachectl will then start the server with "httpd -DFP -DSSL -DPHP3".

I was also thinking of fixing the apache Makefile so that it would use an
external Ports Config file:

apache.ports:
frontpage    FP
ssl    SSL
php    PHP3
php4    PHP4
jserv    JSERV

This way we wouldn't have to patch the main apache port's Makefile for each
new module port that gets submitted.

It would use this file to create the appropriate LoadModule/AddModule
<IfDefine port>..</IfDefine> entries in the httpd.conf-dist file.

This file could also be used by the apache.sh script to determine which
modules exist on the system and to configure apache to use them.

Scot