Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:38:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nick.hibma@jrc.it
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> Could someone translate this into a language called English? Some people
> on this list are non native speakers of English, like myself, and have
> a 'syntax error' or 'decoding error' on the fragment below.

If you could give a specific fragment, I could "translate" it for
you; the "fragment" you attached was rather large: a whole message.

A translation would be too large for this list, especially given
the fact that it would be a repost of the same information, and that
the information itself is dangerously close to being off topic,
like this post.  8-).

> If people could restrict themselves to general English language, not
> slang nor uncommon words and no n dimensional (with n big) sentences,
> that would be appreciated.

Discussions of highly technical issues require *precise* language.

This is why all highly technical fields develop their own jargon.

Most computer scientists couldn't tell you how an Adson-Toennis
scissors differs from a Barraquer corneoscleral scissors, or why
autologous transplants don't require antirejection drugs, etc..

It's possible to be precise in retrograde ("High School") English,
but it takes a lot more words to get the same meaning.

I'm willing to provide retrograde English "translations" if requested,
but I think it should be done in private email, not on the lists.

For comparison, consider someone wanting/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/locore.s
be written in C instead of 386 assembly so that more people could
understand it.  It could probably be done, with a small number of
inlines, but it would not be very efficient to do it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.