Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:08:55 +0000
From:      David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

Quoting <XFMail.000405185723.juksi@iname.com>
by Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>:

> that showed me a list of files, and there was BIG LETTERS: UPDATING
> I thought, well, I'm now running 3.4, and I'm about to install 4.0,
> so I'd guess that's called UPDATING. Some common sense, I think? I
> read the UPDATING and followed those very simple instructions there
> (well I have to admit I couldn't build a custom kernel before I had
> updated the system with GENERIC, but that really isn't a big
> problem)

Where in UPDATING did you find the update instructions? I did the same
as you, except when I came to read UPDATING, it looked like a
changelog, so i stopped reading after a 5 pages or so - little did I
know at the time that the critical instructions were at the end of the
file. Shortly after, those paragraphs were moved to the top of
UPDATING, which is a vast improvement, and greatly improves the
chances of basically clueful people finding the instructions. It's
this level of improvement that the docs need most - moving/putting
pointers to pre-existing text to places where the basically clueful
will look.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."