Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:05:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virus targetting both Windows and Linux?

> Is this at all possible?
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010327/wr/virus_winux_dc_1.html

Maybe if you had WABI or WINE installed.

It would be hard for a virus to be executable on more than one
platform at a time, unless it wasn't really a virus.

Interpreted code would be easier.

The fact that you have to explicitly click the thing leads me
to believe that it's actually a bacterium, and they haven't
magically solved the ANDF problem that computer science has
been fighting ever since software started being distributed.

More than likely, from the user participation requirement,
it's something like a "Shockwave Flash" or similar bacterium.

I also doubt the 100 bytes claim; it may go looking for it,
but it's unlikely that it would be able to do something
about it.

There's also a very simple protection step that you could use
to thwart most virus code, but it would drop much of the floor
out from under the antivirus market: installed images, per VMS.
In other words, require priviledges to be able to mark files as
executable, and don't permit ordinary users the ability to do
that.  VMS wasn't quite as anal: it permitted images installed
with priviledges, which permitted the linker to set the exec
bit, when run on behalf of an ordinary user.

I rather suspect that there are sufficient priviledge exploits
in most (not all) versions of Windows to make this a dubious
approach on platforms with known security compromises.

Likewise, a CRC or MD5 hash, stored as kernel metadata, would
not be capable of being easily compromised, as long as you had
a seperate signature store with which to compare it: infected
files simply would not run.

People have also suggested that locally, you could change your
system call entry points, which would render foreign executables
nonviable.

It's all an arms race, anyway.  A bacterium could propagate
as source code, where the compiled version exploited attacks
against a remote system, and then compiled itself on the new
target system, and was still capable of outputting its own
source code (there are programs on the net that can take a
program, and make it capable of spitting out its own source
code).

In one experiment I did, my code would propagate to a subset of
the total targettable executable files in range, and only attach
itself (as a self-decompressor) if the compression achieved plus
the code attached was some other threshold smaller than the
original file.  When a modified file was run, it would decompress
the original, and execute it with the same command line arguments
and descriptors, while a child was forked and run in the background
to go look for more files to treat.  It would only run on systems
where the actual file size and data segment size were not required
to be the same; that change went into the 386BSD code in 1993 or
so, since it's required to permit "uncore" to work for perl, emacs,
LISP, etc..  Obviously, when I wrote this, I was living under some
serious disk space, but not CPU time, restrictions.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.