Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:09:31 +0300
From:      "Vladimir A. Jakovenko" <vovik@ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   getty issue file

Hi!

 I found some possible "typos" in FreeBSD getty implementation, and whant ask:
 is it possible to fix it?

 Generally, I need to load russian fonts into DEC VT420/DEC VT240 terminals.
 After looking at gettytab(5) I found the easiest way -- use the "if" (issue file)
 tag, because getty cat it to terminal when terminal comming up.

 According to /usr/src/libexec/getty/main.c getty uses function getline()
 for reading an issue file. And this function allocates only 512 bytes buffer
 for issue file. But in our case, russian fonts need about 1727 bytes.
 Also I found a currios comment in function getline (line 682):

        /*
         * This is certainly slow, but it avoids having to include
         * stdio.h unnecessarily. Issue files should be small anyway.
         */

 The easiest way should be add stat() call and dynamically allocate buffer,
 or at least increase size of default static buffer from 512 to something
 like 2048.

 But I don't know that using "if" tag is the right way to load fonts.
 May be for some reasons issue file must be no more then 512 bytes long?

--
Regards,
Vladimir.