Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/19818: /usr/share/man/man8/sysinstall.8 missing

The following reply was made to PR docs/19818; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc: B.Candler@pobox.com, jkh@freebsd.org,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:19:22 -0700

 > > sysinstall.8 man page is not in distribution; need to dig install
 > > sources to find it under /usr/src/release/sysinstall/
 >
 > This is right.  Is there any reason we don't do this?  Otherwise, the
 > attached patch should do it.

 Well, we don't do it because sysinstall isn't in the default build
 path, is never touched by "make world" or "make distribute", and hence
 never makes it into the man pages distribution with all the other
 manual pages, even with Nik's patch to the Makefile.

 I've thought of various types of evil hacks to work around this over
 the years, but they always seemed more evil than simply omitting the
 man page. :-)

 - Jordan