Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:29:34 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> > >A switch from Kanji to Kana would not damage the ability to represent
> > >any Japanese words; it's a switch from an ideogrammatic to an
> > >alphabetic representation.

At this point I was imaging someone suggesting it the other way round
to English speaking people.  ;-) Even assuming it would be advantage-
ous in the long run for some good reason (lets assume this reason does
exist) a complete switch will be at least a long, long time away
because people don't want to give up the old way of using their own
language.

Guess why the "Rechtschreibreform" (where there are some rather small
changes to the writing taught in school) gets so much opposition in
Germany.  The old version probably won't die before the last person
who learned it dies.  And your suggestion is even more extreme than
just changing the spelling of a few words.

> > 	bzzzz, you are wrong.  We Japnaese can't live without Kanji.
> > 	Kanji is not an extra character sets.  Kanji is mandatory

>     That's also true for Chinese. We can not live with only
>     phonetic symbols, whether that be bopomofo or pinyin or

Would be very hard to read for me with the ambiguities.  It's hard
enough to learn reading it with Chinese characters.  :-(

Anyway, as long as there are good and easy to use converters from the
representation FreeBSD uses from and to Big5, GB, ISO 2022, Unicode
and others in the base system and the complete system (including
syscons/pcvt) gets converted I think I can live with the result.

For practical reasons I'd prefer a fixed length of a character.  The
software has to be written and modified by someone and for most of the
FreeBSD system software and ports collections this is people who use
ISO 646, ISO 8859 and KIOR-8.  If they have to take into account
variable length characters it might scare some of them away and those
not scared have to deal with additional complexity.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.