Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 16:13:49 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@egenetics.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@netmode.ntua.gr>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenJIT 1.1.12, JDK 1.2.2, FreeBSD 4.0-S crash

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 03:16:31PM +0200, Peter van Heusden wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm trying to get Java 1.2.2 to work with FreeBSD. Thus far, the port
> > (without the 1.2.2-patch from Sun's site) compiles and installs fine, and
> > seems to wor, except for 'font not found' errors.
> >
> > I managed to compile OpenJIT 1.1.12 with a minor fix (patch attached at
> > the end of this message). I installed it (again, I needed to fix the
> > install path in my Makefile), but when I try and use it (e.g. using
> > appletviewer to view one of the Java demos, or running java on a class
> > file that otherwise works), it gets seg fault and dumps core.
> >
> > I read in the list archives that someone got OpenJIT to work with JDK
> > 1.2.2 on FreeBSD - maybe the operating system was a different version?
>
> I have exactly the same versions of the software that you mention. I haven't
> experienced yet any core dumps. For instance, the Clock demo applet
> works fine. Can you be more specific about your setup, e.g. have you got
> patchset 8 or something older? What were the changes you had to do for
> OpenJIT to build & install (the patch you mentioned was not in your
> message)?

Sorry, patch *really* in the message this time.

Two things:

1) I had to change a int_8 to a char in a header file to be compatible
with api.c.

2) The OpenJIT makefile wants to install in
JAVA_HOME/jre/{lib/i386|classes}. After a make world for the Java JDK -
the standard 1.2.2 source from Sun's site + patchset 8 for FreeBSD - I end
up with a java installation in build/freebsd - there is no jre directory
there. So I removed the jre from the installation directories for OpenJIT.

Peter

Here's the patch for changing the int to a char:

*** CClassHeaders/org_OpenJIT_Compile.h.orig	Fri May 26 14:47:38 2000
--- CClassHeaders/org_OpenJIT_Compile.h	Fri May 26 14:47:52 2000
***************
*** 168,174 ****
  extern int32_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolAccess(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern HArrayOfByte *org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolClass0(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern int32_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolFieldAddress(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
! extern int8_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolFieldDescriptor(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern int32_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolFieldOffset(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern HArrayOfByte *org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolMethodDescriptor(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern HArrayOfByte *org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolName0(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
--- 168,174 ----
  extern int32_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolAccess(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern HArrayOfByte *org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolClass0(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
  extern int32_t org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolFieldAddress(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);
! extern char org_OpenJIT_Compile_ConstantPoolFieldDescriptor(struct Horg_OpenJIT_Compile *,int32_t);

--
Peter van Heusden				pvh@egenetics.com
Electric Genetics