Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:54:29 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: dead box

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:11:37AM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:

> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.
>
> I came in the other day to find my workstation powered off. Hitting
> the power on button had no effect as did using another known working
> outlet. I checked all the cables and they seem attached.
>
> I thought my power supply must have died so I got another, screwed it
> in and again no joy - no sign of life.
>
> Anybody got any ideas what the problem may be? I'm thinking possibly
> the power on switch but that seems a long shot and there seems no easy
> way to replace it.
>
> My hardware:
>
> Antec Sonata case.
> Gigabyte board.
> Core 2 duo
>
> TIA,

Apologies for responding to my own post but I thought I should relate
what the problem was for the archives.

I tried reseating all attachments to the MB but that didn't prove
fruitful. So since I thought it was upgrade time anyway, I bought a
new MB and Intel quad core to go with it aswell as a 40GB Intel SSD. I
repurposed the memory from the old MB to go with the new MB. Assembled
it all and it worked. The old HD was OK too.

So from that I deduce that the problem was either the cpu, MB or some
dodgy attachment that the new assembly bypassed.

The SSD has proved it's worth. Port builds are a lot faster, launching
applications such as Mutt and Firefox are near instantaneous.
locate(1) and find(1) jobs are pretty near instantaneous. So my advice
to anybody still using EM HDs on a workstation is to get an SSD as
your next upgrade if you haven't already.

I suppose I'm fortunate in that my data needs are fairly small:

$ df
Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad5s1a   1982798  261090  1563086    14%    /
devfs               1       1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad5s1e     19566      22    17980     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad5s1f  29893284 7870578 19631244    29%    /usr
/dev/ad5s1d   1982798   69718  1754458     4%    /var

I just installed 8.0 and rsynced ~/ over.

Regards,

--

 Frank