Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:57:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        vovik@ntu-kpi.kiev.ua (Vladimir A. Jakovenko)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty issue file

> Generally, I need to load russian fonts into DEC VT420/DEC VT240
> terminals.  After looking at gettytab(5) I found the easiest way
> -- use the "if" (issue file) tag, because getty cat it to terminal
> when terminal comming up.

We used to download and select sixel fonts on vt220, vt320, and vt420
hardware.

We used the "rf" (reset file) or "if" (initialization file) attributes
to specify a file with a sixel font image, complete with escape
sequences, to send to the terminal.

Then we used the standard "reset" variant of "tset" to get the font
out there:

	eval `reset -s vt320-russian`

(for example).

If you insist on using getty to do the work (a bad idea, since it makes
the terminal russian instead of the login account), as long as you didn't
run more than 512 characters between newlines, it's not an problem.

This means you needs to ensure the terminal is in the base state before
doing the newline.  This is relatively easy to do, and won't damage the
ability to download the sixel based character sets.

You *will* have to deal with a number-of-characters-in-the-sixel-set
lines of CRLF, however...

I prefer the tset method (for the obvious reasons).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.