Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:51:13 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Giorgos writes:

> The contortions through which you had to go
> to quote the above text (and then manually
> rewrap it to such a short line width), are really
> not necesary when you use better tools than
> Outlook Express for mail.

I don't see how that it relevant to the discussion.

> This probably seem irrelevant at first ...

Yes, see above.

> ... but if you read it in context of what Greg
> has pointed out above, you'll notice that a
> point is made.

No point is made, except that you have a personal preference for some e-mail
program other than Outlook Express.  There are thousands of e-mail programs
available, so you have your choice.  I still don't see the connection to the
discussion at hand, however.

> Doing exactly the same thing (write a page of text
> with lines shorter than 70 characters) is a ton of
> work in Outlook, and a pair of keypresses away in
> a Unix tool.

E-mail is composed and sent with e-mail client programs, not operating
systems.

> You are not following your own suggestion.  Why
> are you presenting only the weaknesses (or at
> least, a rough outline of the weaknesses) of these
> two environments and never mention any of their
> strengths?

Perhaps you haven't read all of my posts.  I've consistently praised UNIX
where its strengths reside, namely, as a server.

> Then one that needs to compare Windows to UNIX
> would have to do a comparison of a great number
> of operating systems.

It would be a good idea, if practical.

> Are you suggesting that you know everything about
> all of them when you are implying that Unix is not
> good as a desktopo and Windows is not good
> as a server?

No, I'm _stating_ that I have no emotional investment in the use of any
operating system, and I simply use the best OS for the job.

On my three computers, I run Windows NT, Windows XP Home Edition, and
FreeBSD UNIX.  The XP machine is purely a destkop.  The NT machine is much
more a desktop than a server, although I have a few services running on it
as well.  The UNIX machine is exclusively a server.

My router appears to run a stripped version of UNIX--or something
UNIX-like--as well, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.