Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:24:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

> However, new users do not know enough not to like the default; they do
> not know that there is something better that is not entirely different
> but merely enhanced; and they don't know enough to get whatever shell

That is not a failure of the distribution ideals (e.g. keep extras
like tcsh separate from the default bin dist) so much as it is a
failure of feature introduction.  In other words, I could bring up
another dialog at some point in the installation / setup phase which
said "You probably won't like the default shells, so let me tell you
all about the extra, special fancy shells we also offer! [sales job
elided] So, which of these many attractive shells would you like me to
install for you today?" and the user would neither know nor care that
the shell came out of a package vs being bundled in by default.  To
the user, how they get there is irrelevant just so long as the option
to install new features is provided in the appropriate context.

Of course, correctly determining such context and writing all the
"click the start menu at any time for new feature selection" user
hand-holding code which enumerates the options properly is something
which takes Real Work(tm), and it's rarely through lack of vision that
these sorts of mechanisms don't exist, but rather lack of time. :-(

> telnet, getting the web server set up, trying to make the printer print,
> maybe worrying about dot clocks, ppp, reconfiguring the kernel to get
> the sound card working, etc. etc. etc., and is stuck with csh...because

No one has yet to adequately automate the procedure for getting
something better? :-)

					Jordan