Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:47:13 -0500
From:      "Tim Dixon" <tdixon@the-dixons.net>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   APM on Thinkpad 701c

I've recently shoved a new hard drive in my Thinkpad 701c (486/75, 24MB RAM)
and thought I'd take the opportunity to try out FreeBSD (I've been a Linux
user for some time).  I installed 4.2 Release as "dangerously dedicated."

I've gotten nearly everything working; I got the kernel recompiled to
support sound, X is working in 16-bit color, vidcontrol lets me select 80x60
test, and so on with no trouble.

The only problem I'm having is that APM seems flaky.  When I boot up, I
cannot use any of the fn-key combinations (suspend now, battery guage, etc.)
until I suspend the unit from the command line (with zzz).  After I resume
the machine, things seem OK (all the buttons work, for instance).  That's
one thing that seems flaky.

The other thing that seems flaky is that if I let it suspend on BIOS timeout
or by closing the lid before a command line suspend, it hangs on resume,
apparantly not turning the hard drive back on (judging by the error messages
and silence from the drive).  This also happens sometimes (about 1 in 10
maybe) even when things otherwise seem OK.  The drive itself is new, and
BIOS doesn't recognize it at all (says, "Not Installed" and won't
hibernate), but it worked ok on Linux (I installed Linux first to make sure
the drive worked OK before adding a new OS to the mix of variables).  APM
has always been stable in Linux.

Any suggestions about what I might have done wrong?  Or is the APM just old
enough that it doesn't play nicely with FreeBSD?