Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        br@schiele-ct.de
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommended PCMCIA modem card?

 * I'm happily running FreeBSD on a TP560.  Now I'm looking for some
 * PCMCIA modem card.  Yes, I had a look at the hardware compatibility
 * list, but I wonder if there is some modem card which people could
 * recommend.  A low price isn't my first priority.  I need 33.6 bps,
 * and I expect painless operation.  I thought a US Robotics Sporster
 * or Courier would make a good choice but I saw some warning that
 * troubles had been reported.  So, is there any PCMCIA modem card
 * *you* could recommend to me?  I appreciate any hint.

I haven't used the modem much yet (haven't gone on a trip since I
bought the laptop :) but my USR Megahertz 56k (XJ1560) appears to work
fine in both Lose95 and FreeBSD.  (Yes it works in Lose95...a miracle.)

However, this one has the "X-jack", which is not a very good idea.
Get one without an X-jack if you can, or you can (usually) only use
one PC-card at a time.

Satoshi