Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 1996 18:33:29 +0000 ()
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nasty Routing BUG in 2.1R

> > To crash the FreeBSD system, simply type 'ping x.x.x.252', which
> > generates "/kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo". ...
>
> I assume this is 2.1-stable here?

Here's from uname -a:

| FreeBSD hemi.com 2.1.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #1: Sun Apr 28
| 10:35:33 MDT 1996     root@hemi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL  i386

It's pretty much the stock 2.1-R kernel with minor modifications to
bind() to restrict access only to users in a certain group.

> > ... something happened during the subsequent savecore which totally
> > messed up the root partition. ...
>
> Ermm.  What's dumpdev pointing at please?  We should try and figure
> out why this happened!

kern.dumpdev = sd0s2b
/dev/sd0s2b			none		swap	sw 0 0

The savecore was ran manually about 1 hour after the system came
back up. The machine crashed during the savecore and that was
pretty much the end of the / filesystem (incidently, the savecore
was to the /usr filesystem.) We were able to get key files from /etc,
but many of the binaries were corrupted, and the system hopelessly
hangs somewhere after device probes are completed and before /etc/rc
gets run. We replaced all the binaries by untarring fresh copies
from the 2.1-R cd-rom.

Thanks,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;