Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:49:25 +0200
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <chokepnt@prima.ruhr.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   K6 Update & AMD Statement

Hi folks!

Good news for the K6: I just got mine swapped by my dealer; it was a
revision 9721 chip, and he swapped it for a 9735 chip. It now works
fine. I'll redo the make world for a couple of times the next weeks and
see what I'll get.

Second good news: I wrote to AMD about it, and they seem genuinely
concerned with it, or so I gather from their mail. Here's what they
wrote (follows)

Philipp

==================> begin AMD mail <============

Dear Philipp,

1. We believe you are encountering Erratum 2.6.2 that is fully
documented
in the AMD-K6 MMX Enhanced Processor Revision Guide posted on our
website,
www.amd.com. Due to the long list of rare conditions necessary for this
erratum to occur, the issue does not effect general users in a DOS or
Windows environment. It appears to be limited to a special cases as in
the
Linux kernal re-compile.

2. A design change that fixes the erratum has been identified and is
currently being implemented in a future revision of the AMD-K6
processor.

3. AMD stands behind its products and wants you to be fully satisfied
with
your choice.
To this end, we are offering to replace your processor as the new
revision
becomes available.

4 To replace your processor we need the following information. We will
contact you in about 3 weeks with more specifics on when and how the
processor will be replaced.

- Name

- Address

- Phone Number

- Type of System or Motherboard

- Processor Frequency

Kind Regards
Tvrtko
AMD Hotline / Technical Support.

(but please don't post all this into the wide world - it's a bit touchy
with personal email)