Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:54:00 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, <i18n@FreeBSD.ORG>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, <anholt@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: koi8-r is obsoleted by koi8-u (Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontCyrillic)

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 12:19 pm, Harti Brandt wrote:
=
= And how about koi8-c fonts? Are there any available?

Haven't heard about those, but thanks for the pointer! Google found the

	http://sawsoft.newmail.ru/LS/koi8-extended.html

according to which:

	This new 8-bit Cyrillic encoding can be used for Russian,
	Ukrainian, Byelorussian, Serbian, Macedonian languages (like
	the CP1251 code page) but also includes letters for the old
	(pre-1917) Russian orthography ("yat", "fita", "izhitsa")
	and some frequently used typographic symbols (same positions
	as CP1251). The possibility to type texts using old Russian
	orthography and the extra typographic symbols are the main
	reasons to use this encoding. I have also created: a keyboard
	map (xmodmap) and a set of X window screen fonts (BDF) in KOI8-C
	encoding (fully compatible with KOI8-R and KOI8-U as regards
	letters); a perl script to print texts to Postscript using a BDF
	font; and a spell checker for old Russian orthography.

If this is true, the koi8-u is also obsolete :-)

That page deserves some attention. I imagine some ports and patches
shall be forthcoming. I wonder, if there is an RFC formalizing it,
though...

= harti

	-mi