Date:      Fri, 4 Nov 2011 20:55:52 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Zantgo <zantgo@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with mergemaster-p

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:14:10 -0300
Zantgo <zantgo@gmail.com> wrote:

>=20
> El 04-11-2011, a las 21:55, Zantgo <zantgo@gmail.com> escribi=F3:
>=20
> > I'm trying to upgrade to 9.0 stable, but when I run "mergemaster-p"
> > in single mode, I get the following error message:
> >=20
> > *** Creating the temporary root environment in / var / tmp /
> > temproot mkdir / var / tmp / temproot: Read-only file system
> >=20
> >     *** FATAL ERROR: Can not create / var / tmp / temproot

Before you do anything else, you need to make sure all of your mounted
partitions are not in read-only mode.

The way I do this is:

1) Boot into single-user mode
2) mount -u /
3) mount -a

The "mount -u /" command changes the root partition from read-only (the
default mode when you boot single-user) to read-write.  The "mount -a"
command, of course, mounts all of your partitions.

By the way, there's no reason to insert those spaces in your pathnames
when you post (like "/ var / tmp / temproot")?  Please don't.

--=20
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads@cox.net