Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:48:41 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, Tino Engel <elrap@web.de>
Subject:   Re: What's "unknown" about i386-unknown?

Bill Moran wrote:

>>> I seem to remember a conversation about this, and that the original
>>> spec for that string required a "physical location" after the architecture.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing that at the time it was very important to know which of
>>> the few physical machines did the job.
>>>
>>> If my memory is reliable, it's not that the information is "unknown", it's
>>> just that nobody cares any more, therefore nobody bothers to enter the
>>> physical location information.
>>>
>> Well, I actually have i386-portbld-7,0-BETA3.
>> How does that fit?
>
> Don't know.  It's entirely possible that I'm remembering wrong.

Geeze, it's unknown, because the GNU autoconf files say so, and it's one
heck of a lot easier to just use what they c\say, than to try talking
all those stubborn linuxers into changing it.  Not all packages that use
GNU autoconf have this file, but big ones, like maybe gcc, would have
the file config.guess.  You run that, and it's announce what it thinks
your machine is.  If it finds nothing, you're going to have to do a heck
of a lot of autoconf editing (I used to do that a lot in the early days
of FreeBSD).  Glad to be able to say that's a long lost memory, not
needed anymore.

I just ran "find / -name config.guess" on both my FreeBSD box and my
soon to be modified Gentoo box, here's what comes back:

ON LINUX
sh-3.2# sh /home/chuckr/pda/scripts/config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

ON FREEBSD
:363>sh /usr/local/lib/rpm/config.guess
i386-unknown-freebsd8.0

You probably have some junko config.guess files hanging around
somewhere, you can try it yourself.  Or ask me, I'll mail you one.