Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:13:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: CD-R(W)s

On 27-Aug-98 The Classiest Man Alive wrote:
>  It's time to replace my old CD-ROM and I'm considering moving to a CD-R or
>  a CD-RW.  I'm wondering how well these devices work with FreeBSD 2.2.x.
Quite well :)

>  Is it possible to burn CDs using FreeBSD (e.g., is there softare available
>  for this purpose)?
Yep, you need either mkhybrid (I prefer this because it does Joliet FS) or
mkisofs, these programs create the CD filesystem. You also need cdrecord or
cdwrite which actually talk to the CD-R and put the CD FS image on them. I use
cdrecord.

>  Does they function normally as CD-ROM replacements or are there any
>  special considerations?
They work find as CD-ROM's but are usually slower than a normal CD (ie 8x).

>  Does anybody have any good/bad experiences with a particular manufacturer
>  or model?
I have used a Ricoh-6200 (nice drive, and does RW disks, but only a 2x write), a
Sony CDU-948S (I didn't like them, I killed 3 of them in a week - I don't know
how..), and a Compro CW-7502 (nice drive, only does CD-R's but is 4x write, and
I haven't had any problems)

Also note that some software like tosha or cdda2wav might be useful if you want
to turn your CD collection into mpegs (CD-R's are great for this because they
are much more precise than a normal drive). Also, 8hz-mp3 is a good free mp3
encoder.