Date:      Wed,  5 Apr 2000 13:45:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dhesi@rahul.net (Rahul Dhesi)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Opensource is not free

"Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org> writes:

>> To write documentation, I need authoritative information.  That is hard
>> to get.  If ther were design documents and programmer's notes, I could
>> take them and convert them into user manuals quite easily.  But there
>> are no such documents that I have found so far....

>You seem to be forgetting the most obvious way to get information...just
>ask.  Most of FreeBSD's code has the authors/maintainers names embedded in
>it somewhere.  In addition to the authors/maintainers, there are many
>knowledgable people subscribed to FreeBSD's veritable plethora of
>technical mailing lists that have the knowledge that you require and would
>love to share.

Ok, I am hereby asking!  All FreeBSD developers:  Please insert comments
in all code from now on that fully document what the code does, what the
expected inputs are, what the expected outputs are, what the invariants
are, and what each error message means.

Have some documentation standards for the whole project that all
contributed code should (preferably must) adhere to.

I will take this raw documentation (small chunks at a time) and convert
it into user-friendly manuals.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@email.rahul.net> (spam-filtered with RSS and ORBS)
   See my ORBS faq: