Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 05:47:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, sreid@sea-to-sky.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Success: Quake 3 DemoTest under FreeBSD with RIVA TNT too!

> I wish somebody would make a port of this so that others
> could follow more easily in your footsteps.  Hint hint. :)

  "Sleep is for the weak .. "  :)

The impatient (who can't wait another hour or two until
I am finished with it) can do this:

    1. download q3td from

	   http://www.quake3arena.com/demo

       Note: this is 50 MB!

    2. grab port from

	   http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/distfiles/glx

       according to what XFree86 version you use

    3. nuke your old Mesa-3.0 installation

    4. make build the port (it will rebuild Mesa correctly)

    5. grab the instructions from

	   http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/apps/games/quake3

       (README plus the mail from Steve on Matrox and my response to RIVA)

    6. Look and enjoy, and don't complain too much about lousy framerate..

    Note: The RIVA driver in the port is slightly better than
	  the one from the most recent CVS version of glx.

	  However the Matrox driver in the port is 2-3 months behind
	  the most recent version. So the port will work, but is slower.
	  The CVS version might require a bit more fiddling, but is
	  faster. (I will work on the Matrox update next week)

Please do not expect Windows like performance.
Buy a commercial OpenGL driver, or wait a bit.
The performance will improve!

Regards,
Marc