Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 08:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        coventry@io.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feature list

Caveat: My experience with Solaris has been mostly on Sparcs, not on
Intel.

I have about six years of experience with Sparcs (SunOs and Solaris)
and aboiut four with Unix on Intel (SCO, UnixWare, Solaris, FreeBSD,
BSD/OS, and others).  I am not an ISP but I do Unix consulting for
several ISPs in the Washington DC area and their customers.  These
ISPs typically use BSD/OS, Solaris, and FreeBSD in about that order of
popularity.  The ones who are using FreeBSD have the fewest recurring
problems and spend the least amount of time fussing with their
internal systems, Solaris is the worst of the three for reliability.

WRT the specific applications you list below, both OS's run them fine
and they all build "out of the box."  However, Solaris is wedded to
NIS.  If you choose not to run NIS, once in a while a host lookup
non-event will catch you by surprise (e.g. a `who` will not return a
hostname but an IP address instead).  Nothing fatal but it can be
annoying.  Also, Solaris is not as complete as FreeBSD (e.g. FreeBSD
allows you to see what each sendmail process is doing when you run the
ps(1) command, Solaris doesn't).  FreeBSD is significantly less memory
hungry and faster on the same hardware.  This is especially noticeable
in X windows.  OTOH, there are lots of commercial apps for Solaris and
very few for FreeBSD.

One other factor that may be of importance, the FreeBSD core team has
made it easy to have all upgrades and patches be applied to your
system over the net (see the CTM and sup docs).  This is in stark
contrast to Sun whose OS patch system is painful.

WRT installation, I have done both over-the-net and cdrom installs.
Both work fine but I prefer the cdrom especially on a slow net
connection.  If I was installing on a system without a cdrom, I would
use the net rather than install a cdrom drive, it is really easy and
almost bullet-proof.  Buy the cdrom, you will sleep better at nights
knowing that you can reinstall part or all of your system without
needing net resources.