Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:57:58 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

In message <20000405180855.O13499@enigma.redbrick.dcu.ie> David Murphy writes:
: Where in UPDATING did you find the update instructions? I did the same
: as you, except when I came to read UPDATING, it looked like a
: changelog, so i stopped reading after a 5 pages or so - little did I
: know at the time that the critical instructions were at the end of the
: file. Shortly after, those paragraphs were moved to the top of
: UPDATING, which is a vast improvement, and greatly improves the
: chances of basically clueful people finding the instructions. It's
: this level of improvement that the docs need most - moving/putting
: pointers to pre-existing text to places where the basically clueful
: will look.

I will point out that the very beginning of the UPDATING file did say
to search for COMMON ITEMS for those commonly performed items.  Most
clueful people were able to find it :-).  However, with the release it
became clear that was the most important thing people would be looking
at, so its position should reflect that.

Warner