Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 22:03:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        lambert@cswnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I being spammed? Or is egroups this impolite?

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 lambert@cswnet.com wrote:

> >  EGroups sends e-mail to a mailing list sorted by domain.  They use
> >Qmail, so they send to one recipient per connection.  So if you have a
> >100 people at your domain get EGroups e-mail, in a short period of time,
> >EGroups will open a 100 connections to your mail server(s). Hopefully you
> >can handle it.  This results in a EGroups cutting a swath through the
> >internet every time they do a mailing.
>
> I had 35 open connections from egroups to my primary MX for over 30
> minutes.  My secondary MX had over 30 connections from egroups at the
> same time.  Is this a case of a clueless admin at egroups?  Or are
> they just assuming that everyone else has 3 C-Classes of MX hosts
> also?  I only have 20K mailboxes.

  If they have connect failures, they would have tried the secondary.

> >  You should probably set your maximum connection limit to something that
> >your servers can handle.  Switching from Sendmail to Postfix should help.
>
> I was running out of file handles :
>
> /tmp/RxB37043: Too many open files in system

  You should have set your maximum process limit to something your system
can handle:  MaxDaemonChildren.  Take an opportunity to check all other
servers and set appropiate limits.

> So I guess I'll have to rebuild the kernel.  I'll take this as an
> oportunity to upgrade from Jun 30 3.2-STABLE.

  Not necessary on any 3.x system.  "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=X", where is
X is bigger than it is now.  Probably something 4 times the maximum
process limit of sendmail would be good.

> I'm still a newbie BSD admin.  I've only been immersed in *nix for the
> last 18 months (working my way through a backlog of stuff, 2.1.6, that
> should have been done a long time ago).  I'm still not confident
> enough of my ability to convert a production box to Postfix without
> making a lot of customers mad.  Fortunately, this is my next priority
> item.
>
> --
> Scott Lambert
> lambert@cswnet.com